Let’s start with the introduction.
Search optimization of the site or SEO is the process of setting up the HTML code, text content, site structure, control of external factors to meet the requirements of the algorithm of search engines, with the aim of increasing the position of the site in the search the results of these systems for certain user requests. The higher the position of the site in the search results, the more likely the visitor will come to it from search engines, since people usually follow the first links.
Main areas of work
The search engine takes into account the following parameters when calculating the relevance of the site:
- keyword frequency: sophisticated algorithms of modern search engines allow for semantic text analysis to filter out search spam when a keyword occurs very often (more than 7-8 percent of all content) or very rarely (1-3 %) on a page. Optimal density of keywords: 5-7% of the text content of the web page, while keywords (phrases) should appear in the text at least 3-4 times;
- site citation index, or the number of web resources that link to this site; many search engines do not take into account reciprocal links (one-to-one), it is also important that the links are from sites with a similar theme as the promoted (optimized) site.
Accordingly, all factors affecting the site’s position in search results can be divided into external and internal. Optimization works include works:
- with internal factors that are under the control of the site owner — bringing the text and page layout in line with the selected requests, improving the quality and quantity of text on the site, stylistic design of the text (headings, bold), improving the structure and navigation using internal links;
- external factors — exchange of links, registration in directories and other measures to increase and stimulate the number and frequency of links to the resource.
Search engine optimization can serve as a constant source of increasing the number of visitors (90% of users find new sites through search engines; 55% of online purchases and orders are made on sites found through search engines). A high level of trust in search engines allows you to get a high percentage of conversion of visitors into buyers, and the cost of attracting one visitor is minimal.
People who get to the site through search engines are targeted network users who have already formed their interests and are looking for exactly the product (service) that you offer that’s why search engine optimization is the source of the highest quality visitors to your site. Work on site positioning in search engines is one of the most important measures for attracting the target audience. Among the most popular Ukrainian and global search engines are Google, Yandex and Yahoo. A person who optimizes a site is called an optimizer (SEO manager).
Optimization methods can be divided into three classes, but recent events in the world of search engines make it clear that this division is very conditional — any manipulation of certain parameters of the site can be considered by the search engine as an extremely undesirable influence on its results. “White” optimizers and marketers use Google’s recommendations for creating “good” sites. In this way, they promote the site without violating the rules of search engines.
It is also worth remembering that all methods of external optimization can be considered by the search engine as an unwanted cheat and lower your site in the search engine.
Optimizing for different types of results
Be sure to focus on optimizing for mobile devices and tablets, as well as other media.
- Create multimedia content such as videos, as it is easier to put a video on the front page than a simple text page.
- Optimize your non-text content so search engines can see it. If your site uses Flash or PDF files, make sure you read the latest guidelines so search engines can crawl this content and rank your site for you.
- Focus on your metadata.
- Your site content should have title tags and meta descriptions.
- Keywords are now mostly ignored by search engines, but if you still use them, make sure they are relevant to that particular page and also formatted correctly.
- Your meta description should be unique.
By ignoring the basics of SEO, you won’t lay the foundation of your site and you won’t be able to increase your earning potential. Follow best practices!